TEMPORARY WORK VISA TSS
TEMPORARY SKILLED SHORTAGE (TSS VISA)
From March 2018, the Australian Government introduced a new work visa to replace the sub class 457 visa.The 482 visa, referred to as TSS visa or Temporary Skill Shortage visa. The sub class 482 visa has three different streams:
- Short Term Stream
- Medium Term Stream
- Labour Agreement Stream
Short Term Stream:
482 visa applicants who are nominated for an occupation that is listed on the Short-Term Skilled Occupations List (STSOL) will be eligible for the 482 visa under the short term stream (with additional occupations available for regional Australia). 482 visa holders under this stream will be permitted to live and work in Australia for up to 2 years. 482 visa applicants must satisfy case officers that they are a genuine temporary entrant and their visa may only renewed once whilst they are onshore in Australia.
482 visa - Medium Term Stream:
Only visa applicants who are nominated for an occupation that is listed on the Medium and Long-Term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL) will be eligible for the 482 visa under the medium-term stream (with additional occupations available for regional Australia). 482 visa holders under the medium term stream will be permitted to live and work in Australia for up to 4 years. Medium term 482 visa holders may apply for permanent residency after 3 years on their 482 visa.The other key requirements for the 482 visa which apply to both of the above streams include:
- Employer sponsor: All 482 visa applicants must be nominated by a business which has been approved as a business sponsor.
- Market salary rate and minimum salary: Employers must pay Australian market salary rates for the nominated occupation. The salary and market rate for the occupation must be above the Temporary Skilled Migration Income Threshold (TSMIT). TSMIT as at 18 April 2017 is $53,900.
- Mandatory labour market testing: Employers must demonstrate that they have tried to source workers from the local labour market first unless an international treaty obligation applies.
- Discrimination test: Employers must pass a test to determine whether they are discriminating against the local labour market.
- Skilling Australians Fund: Employers must make a contribution to the Skilling Australians Fund. Read more about the Skilling Australians Fund.
- English language: 482 visa applicants must have obtained a score of 5 (minimum 4.5 in each test component) in the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) or equivalent test if applying under the Short term stream. The minimum in each test component is 5 for Medium term stream applicants.
- Work experience: At least 2 years of work experience related to the nominated occupation will be required. The 482 visa applicant will also need to demonstrate they have the appropriate skills and qualifications to perform the nominated occupation.
- Character test: All 482 visa applicants must pass a character test and penal clearances certificates will be mandatory.
482 visa – Labour Agreement Stream
This stream permits the nomination of overseas workers in accordance with a labour agreement with the Commonwealth of Australia.Please contact our experienced Immigration Lawyers for further advise.